Monday, December 1, 2008

So Sad!!!

Last May Kevin and I planned a trip to South Africa with some friends to visit his mission in January.  A couple of days ago he got on to book hotels, cars, shark dives etc.  He noticed some of the dates were not right so he called to see what had happened and the airlines had cancelled all flights out of South Africa over a 5 day period.  Which left us either leaving 3 days early and stuck in an unsafe layover location or leaving the country 3 days later.  Sadly none of these options work for us considering we didn't want to cut our trip short, especially to get stuck for two days in a dangerous place for white people.  And our grandparents in Arizona baby sitting situation didn't allow for us to stay any longer, due to their next travel plans.  So we cancelled our trip, luckily got our money back and will try again another time!  The kicker is that the airlines didn't bother to call and tell us our flights were cancelled, but they did call last week to let us know the Arizona leg of the trip was changed by 5 minutes!  We are pretty disappointed it didn't work out, but we can't help but think usually things happen for a reason.  At least that is what we are telling ourselves to make us feel better.

4 comments:

jana said...

WOW! No way South Africa! Yeah I would be sad too. That is so weird. I got "stuck" in a not so friendly area in Birmingham last week. It was a bit of an eye opener when I got there I got a few looks and the cab driver was not nice, the hotel made me wait for a security gaurd escort and when I woke up with three police cars out front. Now I think I will pay a little more attention to what is a safe side of town and not so safe. I hope your plans all work out. Your kids a welcome up here.

LJABC and D said...

I am so sorry about your trip! But I believe things like that do happen for a reason too. I hope you'll get another chance to go soon. Oh, and my socks were from J.Crew. ok and weird because the comment before me was someone named Jana too, in Birmingham too!!!!

Celly said...

Sucks!! Hey I am here!! Can't wait to keep tabs on you!
Love Celly

M. Gallagher said...

Sorry to hear about that... You guys have been wanting to get there for years... It will work out with time. I'm sure it will.