Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Four Year's Ago...

With Valentines coming up I had to pay a little tribute to a place in CT we would go for the WORLD'S best Hot Chocolate.  Thanks to our friends the Gallagher's, we would spend many Saturday's driving an hour or so to get hot chocolate in the winter and sorbet in the summer.  Oh how we miss Belgique!  I took this picture on Valentines day 5 years ago so that I could always remember.

Now for the reason of my long picture post.  It was 4 years ago today that we sold  our adorable little house in West Hartford , CT.  It was a sad, sad day.  After 4 years of living in Connecticut I thought that I was ready to move back to the west, I didn't realize how long it would take me to adjust. Having everything at our fingertips, 1 1/2 hours from Boston & New York, then moving to Providence, Utah.  Quite the change.  We have enjoyed a lot of things being back in the west again,  making frequent trips to Washington & Arizona to visit family, and not having to spend all our vacation time visiting Utah.  Since everything in the east is so close you usually only had to drive a couple hours to get anywhere, instead of 12.  We were lucky enough to do so many great things while living in CT.  There is nothing like driving to Boston on a Friday night, just to get dessert from FINALE !   It seems crazy that we have already been here four years.    So today I pay tribute to a small part of my East Coast experience.  Of course there are things that drove me crazy about the East, but I like to remember the good.  This is a picture of Bo in our backyard, before we rebuilt it.  We built a rock retaining wall and planted grass and lots of flower beds.  Unfortunately, we moved before spring came so I didn't get to see everything bloom.

Our little house when we bought it.  I couldn't find any pictures of the changes we made.  For starters those giant bushes in front were one of the first to go. We added black shutters and painted our door red.  It doesn't look like much, but it was in a prime location and we payed  for it.  We had great neighbors, and loved to walk a few blocks to the library and West Hartford Center.  Where there were restaurants, ice cream shops, boutique clothing stores ect.  On Saturday's we would get a steamer from Starbuck's and wander around  neighborhoods looking at cute houses.  The best garage sales ever!  And our favorite pizza place, HARRY'S!
This is my dream house... It sits right on the long Island sound.  

We lived across the street from an awesome park...Fernridge Park.  It was huge with a playground and kiddy pool, then a regular pool too.  So fun.
This is on top of Avon Mountain.  It's more like a hill in Western terms.  With the Jones's.  Horrible picture of me, but I wanted to show the view.

My front yard Tree
Backyard tree..and now I don't have any trees.  Ok a couple flowering pears in my park strip.  I like to imagine the fun my kids would have had in this yard with the trees and foliage.  And living across the street from the park.  Great Adventures.
Tiniest  Kitchen, before we painted.

Bowen's room
Kitchen after...
I loved my built in China hutch
and the rounded archways, moldings and keystones.


So that was my house.  I miss all the charm that comes with an old home, that you have to pay big bucks for in a new home.  I don't miss the 60 year old dirt though.  It is nice to know the dirt in my house is from us.  So many great memories, I will always cherish.  

10 comments:

Misty said...

That is awesome! What an experience to live close to so many beautiful things to do and see!

M. Gallagher said...

What fun memories. We moved east of the river - putting Belgique 1.5 hours away and we haven't been since we bought our house. So sad right!? We dream about the hot chocolate too. I guess we should definitely plan a trip before the cold weather is gone. So... what's this about a potential trip our way in the Spring? Keep me posted!

LJABC and D said...

that was so fun to share. i loved that house too. what fun times we had there and even though we never went to belgique together, we loved that place too. now i want harry's, for breakfast. we should meet up and go back for a visit!

Laura Lei said...

This was just to post to get me excited about moving back East. I can't wait to explore everything when we move.

P.S. Your house was adorable.

Bethany Christensen said...

Ahhhhh! thanks for sharing. How did I miss the hot chocolate? I never made it to that place but I tell people about it like I have been there. Weird. How come you didn't post pictures of your beautiful Lakeshore residence? I can't believe it has been four years since you sold your house. Crazy how time flies.

Kristy said...

Wow CT looks beautiful!!! I love the pics of your old house, very cute!

Bonnie said...

That brings back memories for me as well. You know my parents retired to New Mexico, so we don't make it back up there often. Brandon and Traci are still there though. I can't believe it's been four years. That's how I remember Bowen by the way!

jana said...

What a great blog. I loved your pictures and love seeing your house. Looks like you had lots of fun and were pretty busy there. I am excited about our new move and having our own place mostly.

Alisha Marlatt said...

So that is exactly the kind of house I would love to have. I love older homes, the new ones just don't have the same character, although I do agree that is nice to know where your dirt comes from! Anyway, super cute! I can see why you loved it.

Ashley said...

my mouth is watering....just a little Belgique. It could make winter bareable. Your house was so cute and the changes you did were amazing. The location was perfect.