Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Wasatch Back Relay

Well we survived!!! Kevin and I ran in the Wasatch Back Relay. Which is 188 miles from Logan to Park City. We had a team of 12 and each runner takes 3 legs each over a 24 hour period. We started at 10:30 am on Friday and finished about 12 noon on Saturday. I was runner 3 and totaled just over 19 miles. Kevin was runner 1 and totaled 15 miles. . It was really a lot of fun. The worst part is the anticipation of each leg. Wondering if your legs will hold out. Our first part took us about 6 hours then we had a 3 hour break. We ate at Snowbasin ski lodge and then met up with our team for the next exchange. Our second part finished at about 2 am then we drove to a high school along the way that was set up for runners to rest. We slept for about 3 or 4 hours and then went on to finish our last leg, which was another 6 hours. It is a lot of time in the car, but you are usually stopping every 2 miles to cheer on your runner and get them water. So it's a lot of in and out and stretching so you don't cramp up in between runs. Basically after your done with your run you are right back in the car waiting for your next runner.
this is Kevin about half way done with his first leg, which was 5.2 miles.
This is my first leg at 6 miles. The guy behind me passed me once while I drinking. I wasn't going to let that happen again!!! I got passed plenty , but not by this guy.
Kevin just finishing up his last leg. He was so happy to be done!
Refueling on his worst. 8 miles down from Snowbasin through trapper's loop at dusk.
This is Sydney. She is 16 and a total TROOPER. She had one of the worst legs. 8 miles up hill on a dirt, gravel road in the middle of the afternoon. She kept getting dusted out by the cars passing. She was AWESOME!
On top of Avon Pass.
Waiting to Cheer Sydney on!
All Smiles to be DONE!
Our whole team "Half & Half". The weather got so crappy. It was freezing by the end (note the beanies & blankets). I couldn't believe some of the rain. I was so glad I wasn't running in it.
waiting at the finish line for our team.
waiting for the shuttle to take us to the finish line. Do you like my 9 ft. umbrella. I brought it for shade, but it was even better for the rain.
Me just finished my last leg 8 miles. With LOTS of Hills. I wasn't quite ready for some of those climbs. I did better than I thought I would. I was actually so nervous for it that I had to hold back tears when I first started running it. My stomach was cramping and I could feel my ankles going I was just thinking "oh crap". But after about mile 2- 4 I started feeling better and it was actually one of my favorite legs. Beautiful. I had a little rain, just enough to make things a little more entertaining. I was actually fairly wet by the time I finished. I like my middle of the night run too. That was 5 miles through Morgan at about 11 or 12 . My head lamp wasn't working so a nice lady let me run with her until I reached my van to fix it.

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Way to go Beykirch's!! I just wish we would have seen you guys!

jana said...

Wow. I am really impressed! I think I would have been crying the whole way. So what do you normally run? Any one of those legs sound like a marathon to me. Way to go!

Jon, Julee, Maddie, & Dane said...

Congrats. 19 miles is amazing, even 15 miles is amazing. Glad to hear there were no injuries. We were talking about making a visit maybe next weekend or something, what are your plans?

LJABC and D said...

Congratulations guys!! That is a HARD race. We are super proud of you and we can't believe little Bowen is 6, how did that happen so fast? What a cutie.

The Johnson's said...

Greg and I want to run that next year--I couldn't do it this year with all my school stuff I've had to do. Way to go!! I think it sounds really hard--but something to work towards (ps sorry I never ran with you!! I haven't even been able to get anything going this summer with my comps and stuff, but now that is over I might be able to!)

ashleyboice said...

missy you are crazy. I can't believe you guys ran that. Wow.